Tuesday 24 January 2012

Customers Are Born Competitors

Everyone is a competitor, we are born that way. If you are lucky enough to be born with the gift of being able to rhythmically move your fingers across piano keys in perfect time, you will inevitably grow up to compete with other pianists. I know I’m generalising here, but whether people admit it or not, if they think they are good at something (whatever that may be) they will be competitive at it. Joey Chestnut probably isn't competitive when it comes to doing laps at the pool, but put him in a Hot Dog eating contest and it’s on like DK baby!
This is one of the reasons why brands have struck gold with Gamification. Everyone has the ability to be good at being a customer (provided they have the cashola to do so). Problem is, the customer doesn't always know this. They need to be given the opportunity. They need to be told and lead to believe they are a good customer first, because only then will they discover their drive to compete as a customer. We've all seen this before. Parents giving their kids gold stars and trying to force feed sport, art and music down their kid’s throats with the hope that one will stick and their child discovers a hidden talent - becomes competitive - and potentially makes them rich in the process. 

The other day my local barista randomly surprised me by giving me a free coffee. He offered it to me while I was reaching for my wallet and commented that I deserved a freebie for being such a good (loyal) customer. I didn't have to buy 10 coffees to get it or anything.  I was instantly as happy as Larry Edmur; much happier than I would have been if I had redeemed the boring loyalty card every coffee shop has. As I walked away I couldn’t help but think that the barista was right, I did deserve that coffee. I am a good customer. Since that day, my coffee intake has increased ever so slightly and on the off chance I stray and buy my coffee elsewhere, I feel like I’m cheating. A coffee, worth a meager $2.50, changed my consumer buying behavior. Imagine what a tailored Gamification strategy could do? - Oh wait, Starbucks already know...

In my next blog I'll continue the discussion about customers being competitors by doing a case study on the extremely popular global fitness trend CrossFit.

Now, out of 50 points, how did all of you score in my blog?
  • 10 Points - You already knew who Joey Chestnut was, and often marvel at his brilliance
  • 10 Points - You knew the Urban Dictionary definition for 'Cashola' (you gangsta you!)
  • 10 Points - You saw what I did there with the 'Happy as Larry' joke, and know who he is
  • 10 Points - You have a half-filled coffee loyalty card and can't be bothered with it
  • 10 Points - You feel like smashing a Hot Dog after reading this blog
- Digital Goose


No comments:

Post a Comment